Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Toshiba Satellite L505-S5993 TruBrite 15.6-Inch Grey/Black Laptop - 2 Hours 25 Minutes of Battery Life (Windows 7 Home Premium)

 
I bought this machine 2 weeks ago to replace an old personal eMachines laptop, I use an IBM Thinkpad for work. This computer stacks up nicely compared to all the other laptops I've used. First, the screen is very bright and vivid. I love the number pad, it's great not having to hunt and peck for the numbers across the top of the keys. Without a doubt, the memory and RAM are great at this price point. Unfortunately, I didn't get the great deal some others did, but even at $579, it's still a good value. I've already loaded up my iTunes and other applications and it runs smoothly and quickly. It was a breeze to set up.

The only draw back is the touch pad, as others have mentioned. When I bought it, I'd read some reviews that pointed to the frustrations this thing caused, but I figured people were just being picky. They weren't - it stinks. First it's a bit hard to see, but that's not such a big deal. The real issue is the application. I've gone in and adjusted the settings every which way possible, I can't get it to function as I want. I ultimately turned off the tapping function (way too sensitive at every setting) and I'm still not happy. I find myself using the pad and it randomly adjusts the zoom level of the screen. I've no doubt that this issue can be resolved with some setting, but I can't find it.


To summarize, the touchpad is bad enough to take away 1 star, but the pros far outweigh this con, especially if you use an external mouse. Do your research, you probably won't find a machine with this much to offer at a similar price point.

No comments:

Post a Comment